The year was 1946. The Second World War was over and political freedom was round the corner. It was then The India Cements Ltd. began its humble moorings in the form of a cement factory at Talaiyuthu, an almost unmapped tiny hamlet in Tirunelveli district, Tamil Nadu. As one of the oldest Indian corporates, established in 1946, the company set up its first plant in 1949 at Sankarnagar (Talaiyuthu).
The India Cements Ltd. is indeed a pioneer enterprise during the post-independence era to become a public limited company. The first annual report appeared on 21.4.1947. The company’s prospectus was favourably received and the public issue was oversubscribed.